All's Not Welbeck

I don't understand the love affair some managers have with Danny Welbeck. Maybe I'm just clueless about the finer things in football; or maybe I'm a genius. As a Manchester United supporter, I have never understood why David Moyes put Welbeck ahead of Javier Hernandez in the order of strikers at Old Trafford. His goal ratio pales pathetically in comparison to that of Chicharito. Roy Hodgson also thinks very highly of the young man; starting him in front in the two losses in Group D of the 2014 World Cup. Why? Am I missing something?

I understand Welbeck's work rate is tremendous. He has long legs, which means he gets to the ball after only a few quick strides. He gives opposing defenders plenty of problems with his movements without the ball. But, my point is: He is a striker, and he is expected to score goals. Goals win games! And Welbeck isn't scoring enough goals for his club and his country. Maybe the British have a different concept of what a striker should be compared to the Argentinians or the Brazilians. Maybe the concept of a Lionel Messi or a Neymar isn't too fanciful for them. Whatever it is, I honestly don't know.

Another World Cup; another heartbreak. This latest one, most cruel. Eliminated after losing to two relatively middleweight teams. Maybe the Three Lions would have been better off starting Rickie Lambert up front in both games. Danny Welbeck is a young lad. Four years ago, he would have been forgiven for his wastefulness. But now, he is already a veteran of the English Premiere League and should bring his game to a higher level. For the sake of my Manchester United, he has got to.

Comments

Popular Posts